A better way to handle the busy tax season

Watch now

1 October 2018 / Personal Taxes

How to file taxes?

1 October 2018 > Personal Taxes

When filing taxes for yourself or for your business, it's good to start by knowing what form you will be filing. In most cases, individuals will file a Form 1040. In the event the individual is a non-resident, they may file a 1040NR. Those who qualify can file the short versions of these forms (1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR-EZ). Businesses file according to their company’s formation (see “Starting a Business?”).

When starting the preparation of your personal return, or if working with a preparer to assist you with it, be sure to have at least the following documents in order:

  1. Proof of identification

  2. Filing status

  3. Residency status

  4. Social security number (ITIN if non-resident) and date of birth for all individuals on the tax return

  5. Copy of prior year tax return

  6. Tax documents showing income for the year

  7. Bank and brokerage statements

  8. Proof for any deductions or credits

  9. Bank routing number if you are interested in direct deposit of your refund (if applicable)

  10. Pay your tax bill once the return has been completed

Phillip Ingelmo

Read more posts by this author